There is a one year prescriptive period for survival action claims in Louisiana. The right to recover survival action damages for injuries sustained by a deceased person prior to their death may be brought only by the following exclusive class of beneficiary (including by adoption):
(1) The surviving spouse and child or children of the deceased, or either the spouse or the child or children.
(2) The surviving father and mother of the deceased, or either of them if he left no spouse or child surviving. However, a father or mother who has abandoned the deceased during his minority is deemed not to have survived him.
(3) The surviving brothers and sisters of the deceased, or any of them, if he left no spouse, child, or parent surviving.
(4) The surviving grandfathers and grandmothers of the deceased, or any of them, if he left no spouse, child, parent, or sibling surviving.
(5) The deceased’s succession representative in the absence of any of the above class of beneficiary.